Re: [BKARTS] alum and paste

                     60,000 ? (Euro) in total prizes

Richard,
Personally I use Thymol to keep paste from going moldy but the only way to keep it from going watery that I know of is to let it skin over in the open jar and scrape some from under the hardened skin each day. It will still only last about a week to 10 days. Some people use refrigeration but my wife would skin me if I tried to put it in with the food! <grin>
I have found that adding alum significantly increases the acidity and I need to add more chalk (calcium cabonate) than I like to. As it is with wheat paste you should add about 10% to buffer it. Perhaps the chalk helps it keep l;onger as well.
I find that no matter what I do with rice paste it stinks in a few days.
Hope this helps,
Dave

At 03:48 PM 3/10/04 -0500, you wrote:
>I understand that adding alum to paste will extend its shelf life. I'm not
>sure what the proportions of alum to paste should be and would appreciate
>any information concerning this. If anyone has any other tips on preserving
>paste I would love to hear them. I'm tired of paste going watery (and
>useless) in less than a week.
>
>Sincerely.
>
>Richard Lewis

>        See the Book_Arts-L FAQ at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>
>
>     *Postings may not be re-printed in any form without the express
>     consent of the author - Please respect their contributions & ©*

David Allen
840 Snowdrop Avenue
Victoria, British Columbia
CANADA  V8Z 2N4
(250) 888-9380
http://www.webvictoria.com/beddall

In a culture whose fundamental premise is that Paradise is
permanently lost, the most subversive, dangerous, and
revolutionary of all principles lies in the simple statement,
'I have everything I need.'
     - Don Berry