Re: [BKARTS] alum and paste

                    60,000 € (Euro) in total prizes

I use a drop or two of oil of cloves on the lid of the paste container. The vapors keep the paste from spoiling for a very long time, two to three weeks. The paste supply is kept in the refrigerator and smallish amounts are scooped into a smaller container (also treated to a drop of clove oil on the lid). These smaller paste jars stay on the bench till used. They seldom mold, even in the summer. If the paste gets too watery, I drain off the fluids, leave the lid off to dry it out some. The resulting paste becomes wonderfully smooth and sticky—a real joy to use. If the paste gets a slightly "off" smell, it goes out, but by then it's mostly gone anyway.

I make my paste in a saucier, which I bought several years ago. I've also made paste in the microwave, which works well, but you do sacrifice a little tack to gain speed.

I have never used alum or thymol. The drops of oil of clove seems to stay on the lid and out of the paste. Works for me, and the bottle of oil that I bought ten years ago is still far from empty.

Carol
Eugene, OR

------