Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 9 Mar 2004 to 10 Mar 2004 (#2004-67)

                     60,000 ? (Euro) in total prizes

Christopher Brown asked about persistant adhesive residues after
washing. With my ears ringing with James Tapley's sage advice to let
old things be old, I'll ask the silly questions and no doubt be
batted down for belabouring the obvious. Did you wash in cold water
or hot? Did you brush the glue residue while still fully immersed?
Hot glue will not dissolve in cold water, it will just swell, and it
may take a while to do so. It will dissolve somewhere over 40 degrees
C.; light brushing (excuse me, mechanical reduction) may aid the
process. Washing is more efficient in touch-hot water anyway (say up
to 50 degrees), and after washing and bleaching a --light-- gelatine
sizing should be considered, which again would be in touch-hot water.
And if worse comes to worse, the page needed to be repaired in the
first place, so presumably the damage is still there and again needs
repair; why not use your repairs to cover up the glue residue?

Tom Conroy