[BKARTS] Alum and paste - formaldehyde

                     60,000 ? (Euro) in total prizes

Hello Rodney ... just say NO!
A weakened formaldehyde solution, commonly called formalyn, is perhaps the
very worst solution to the problem of paste deterioration.
For starters, it will harden and embrittle any protein based substance (this
means amongst others, leather and gelatin sizings) with which it, in aqueous
or gaseous state, comes in contact. It is infamous for off gassing. It is
highly deleterious to your health, even in small, very small, exposures.
Jack Thompson, whom I rarely thank enough for his contributions to our field,
had it exactly right: if you want to do the work surely you can set aside the
small amount of time needed to make fresh paste. This is not a difficult
question.
All best,
james