From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Carol Pratt
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 9:18 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: alum and paste

                     60,000 ? (Euro) in total prizes

I use a drop or two of oil of cloves on the lid of the paste container.=20=

  The vapors keep the paste from spoiling for a very long time, two to=20=

three weeks.  The paste supply is kept in the refrigerator and smallish=20=

amounts are scooped into a smaller container (also treated to a drop of=20=

clove oil on the lid).  These smaller paste jars stay on the bench till=20=

used.  They seldom mold, even in the summer.  If the paste gets too=20
watery, I drain off the fluids, leave the lid off to dry it out some. =20=

The resulting paste becomes wonderfully smooth and sticky=97a real joy =
to=20
use.  If the paste gets a slightly "off" smell, it goes out, but by=20
then it's mostly gone anyway.

I make my paste in a saucier, which I bought several years ago.  I've=20
also made paste in the microwave, which works well, but you do=20
sacrifice a little tack to gain speed.

I have never used alum or thymol.  The drops of oil of clove seems to=20
stay on the lid and out of the paste.  Works for me, and  the bottle of=20=

oil that I bought ten years ago is still far from empty.

Carol
Eugene, OR

------