Re: [BKARTS] Enzymes

                     60,000 ? (Euro) in total prizes

Greetings,

The problem of stubborn animal glue arose for us some years ago, and we decided
to attend to the matter with an appropriate enzyme.  After must research and
advise here and there, we obtained a bottle of Pancreatin, in powder form.
According to Martindale's The Extra Pharmacopoeia, (a massive volume, and
probably the best reference for chemicals, and proprietary and non-Proprietary
drugs), "Pancreatin is an extract from Mammalian pancreas, containing enzymes
with protease, amylase and lipase activity".  The bottle we have states "Source:
Porcine".

We soak the sheet in an  5 - 10% aqueous solution (W/V).  Over the years, we
have used it a number of times, with varying degrees of success.  Sometimes it
doesn't work at all.  At other times, it has been completely successful in
breaking down the animal glue, allowing it to be wiped away with complete
impunity to the paper being soaked.

There are different types of animal glues, and some enzymes may not work on all
of them.  We only keep one available in our workshop.

Pancreatin is also an irritant to mucous membranes, so care is required in its
use.  It is well written up in any decent Pharmacy literature.

Peter Krantz

Book Restorations.
Sydney,
Australia.