Re: [BKARTS] official binding name?

                    60,000 ? (Euro) in total prizes

The difference between the Asian and French fold is as follows.

Asian: Single folio (2 printed pages on same side) folded so that fold is
on foredge
French fold: Single sheet (4 printed pages on same side) folded first along
the top edge, then in the center so that the "section" can be sewn through
the fold. The top edges remain folded and are not trimmed.

Peter

>From Roberts & Etherington
"Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books"
Washington, DC (1982)

French fold
A sheet of paper printed on one side only and folded over
from left and right to form a "section" with uncut bolts. The
inside of the fold is blank.

-------------

I believe that Asian Binding (e.g. Japanes binding) is the
term applied to the method used for french-folded
text blocks.

Alan Shalette
Albuquerque

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator
<verheyen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

"The Man's Prayer : I'm a man,  but I can change. If I have to. I guess." -
The Red Green Show