Re: [BKARTS] Removing crayon from library book

Julie,

My experience with crayon is that from crayon to crayon and from color to
color they are different. A solvent that will remove one may not effect another.
The paper can also complicate matters. Hard surface papers are much easier to
rid of crayon markings. I would avoid the use of heat as it may cause the wax
to wick into the paper fibers.

While no solvent I found is universally effective, the most useful have been
trichlorethylene and nn-dimethylformamamide. Women of child bearing age should
be cautious in using either of these, particularly dymenthylformamide. The
have both been proven to cause mutations in eggs as well as other cell changes.

Regards,

Ed