Re: [BKARTS] Book Arts for children

John

My book for Scholastic Multicultural Books to Make and Share is out of
print but I am in the process of revising it and publishing it online
as a pdf. It will cost $11.95. I expect to have it up by the end of the
month. I will certainly be letting the list know when that happens.

You might also look for Books that Fly, Fold, Wrap, Hide and turn by
Gwen Diehn. I have a bibliography on my website
http://www.makingbooks.com. I also have some simple projects on my site.

I do most of my work in schools and tailor my projects to fit into the
curriculum so I am very involved in theme based books and my own
interest in bookmaking has always been as a vehicle for content more
than the actual bookmaking although I enjoy that aspect. You'll be in a
different context but I think it is useful to give kids ideas for
content to build their books around. I'd probably choose a very simple
project that could be completed in one or two sessions to start.  I'd
give it a theme and have them make a completed book with text and
illustrations. Maybe an accordion with four pages- go out a do rubbings
of leaves, bark, etc. on separate pieces of paper and attach to the
accordion, or perhaps the Who Am I? book on my website for the younger
group. It would give the kids a sense of accomplishment and give you a
chance to test out your teaching in a simple and relatively controlled
environment.

With kids it's helpful to break the directions down into the smallest
steps: demonstrate a step, have them do it, demonstrate the next, etc.
I am very firm about not letting them go ahead. I have developed an
approach for volume- I often teach 50 kids at a time, but I find that
the same approach works best for small groups as well.

Good luck. It sounds like it will be great fun.

in good spirit
Susan

Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord
Newburyport, MA