Re: [BKARTS] Colophon addendum?

Rich, the historical precedent was that in the colophon it was listed that
"X" number of books were printed, "Y" number of books were bound - sometimes
"Y + Y1" if there were different editions (i.e a deluxe leather bound
version and a more commonplace cloth version). Then the remainder of the
edition "Z" was numbered but listed as unbound in sheets.
That's the basic format for the last 2 centuries.
Before that it was more common to list the number printed - if it was listed
at all- with no versions, but since most were sold in sheets anyways (as
everyone had to accomodate their personal preference and financial
investment it their binding choice (1/4 or 1/2 or full, Goat or Calf,
etc...) there was no guarantee that any 2 copies would neccesarily match
from the binding perspective.
That's not definative, but for a quick overview it should suffice.
Cheers,
Brian Maloney
Designer/Printer
Massey College