[BKARTS] definition of inner hinge

Hello all,
I've been playing in the archives, studying up on different ways endsheets are attached to the book block and/or the cover boards. In a couple of different places, the term "inner hinge" is referred to. But I can't quite discern what an inner hinge is? What is it made of? How is it used? What are the advantages or disadvantages of using them? Are they only used for endsheets?
Thanks,
Alex
www.transientbooks.com