[BKARTS] DVD imformation

(This is partially a test since my emails have been kicked back recently.)

I am aware that DVDs are formatted for different areas of the world.  Yet,
friends of mine in different countries are able to play the DVDs on their
computers without difficulty.

Does anybody have definitive information on how this works?  Is there a
"universal" format which could be read by any DVD player?

As various book organizations contemplate producing DVDs of exhibitions,
demonstrations, etc., it is important to know the distinctions and
limitations.  But I have been unable to locate a source of such specific
information.

Thank you for your help.

Signa Houghteling