[BKARTS] Summer calendar for San San Francisco Center for the Book now on-line

The calendar for May-August classes at the San Francisco Center for
the Book is now available on the Center's web site at
http://www.sfcb.org/php/calendar.php3. You can register via
(415-565-0545) and fax (415-565-0556). There is an open house at the
center on Saturday Apr 17, 1-4pm. Teachers will be on hand to talk
about their workshops for May-August and to display an abundance of
models.

Highlights of our summer classes include. (See
http://www.sfcb.org/php/whatsnew.php3 for links to the classes and
events below)

Summer Camp: This is the fourth year the San Francisco Center for the
Book has presented extended intensive workshops, and we've got more
than ever before, in all areas of book arts. Summer 2004 is framed by
offerings in craft bookbinding, starting with a two-week intensive
for beginners and ending with a weeklong course in book restoration.
In between, Mary Laird is back with "Weeklong Letterpress", and
Howard Munson with "Fantasy & Imagination in the Art of the Book".
Carol Barton, visiting from Philadelphia, is offering a week of
"Paper Engineering", Dominic Riley returns from England with a class
for leather aficionados on the "Elements of Design Binding". And
Michael Burke continues his History Lives series with "The Glazier
Codex".

Paul Johnson: Visiting again from the UK, Paul Johnson is teaching
five workshops in a week! A master of paper engineering and an expert
on encouraging literacy through the book arts, Paul is offering three
classes for K-12 teachers and parents, and two for book arts, paper
engineers and poets.

New Equipment: We've got a terrific new addition in our studio -- a
tabletop etching press -- and a great free event and three classes to
introduce it. Find out about the printing techniques you can achieve
with this press at a free demonstration July 9. And consider this
trio of classes: "Monotype with Resists", "Solar Etching" and "Relief
Printingmaking".

The Center has also added screenprinting to its repertoire of imaging
techniques. There's a week of supervised open studio time in July,
plus two classes called "Screenprinting for Book Arts".