[BKARTS] last-minute letterpress classes at the School of Visual Concepts, Seattle

Hi all,
A late catalog and extra-short break between quarters means that we have many slots open in our letterpress classes-- and the quarter begins next week!

Sign up at www.svcseattle.com, or by calling 206 623-1560

***

Letterpress Weekend Workshop with Amy Redmond
Meets 4/24-4/25 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. In this 2-day workshop you'll get a chance to get your feet wet and hands dirty exploring the very wonderful world of letterpress printing. You'll see how letterpress can produce textures and patinas you simply can't duplicate on a computer. We'll be working both individually, and as a group, to create a series of multi-color postcards using hand-inked antique wood type and image cuts. We'll explore the serendipitous effects of overprinting, and you'll get to take home a sample of your handiwork, along with a complete set of the classes' efforts. Since this workshop is just a dabble into letterpress and wood type, those wanting a more in-depth exposure should sign up for our 10-week Letterpress Posters class.
Prerequisites: None

Letterpress Printing: Posters with Jenny Wilkson
Meets Tuesdays 6:30-9:30 p.m. In this course students of all levels will create posters (or broadsides, as they're sometimes known) using SVC's collection of lead and wood type and Vandercook cylinder letterpresses. Beginning students will learn how to compose type by hand, create linoleum cuts, and operate the presses, while advanced students will create more elaborate pieces. We'll also submerge ourselves in the history and terminology of letterpress and get to know the local printing community through guest lectures and studio tours.
Prerequisites: None

Letterpress Business Card Workshop with Amy Redmond
Meets 5/15-5/16 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tired of ink-jet printed business cards? In this workshop we'll throw away the computer and learn how to use metal type to create a simple, unique business card that will leave a lasting impression—literally. With instructor guidance you'll letterpress print a small, one-color edition on one of our vintage presses. Newcomers to letterpress printing, as well as printers who have never set type with a composing stick, are welcome.
Prerequisites: None

Letterpress Open Shop with Amy Redmond
Printing Hours: Wednesdays, 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Prep Hours: Mondays through Thursdays, 10:00 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Fridays, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
If you've already taken a 10-week letterpress course at SVC , then you can use this open studio time to print any projects you'd like to get on press. During printing hours an instructor will be on hand to help you, answer questions, and give you printing tips. Other times, you can have access to the shop to set type and do other non-printing prep work for your project. Come to the first Wednesday printing session with a clear idea of what you'd like to accomplish and we'll get to work that evening.
Prerequisites: Completion of 10-week letterpress class