[BKARTS] Book Cover Sizing

Please forgive me if this topic has been thoroughly discussed and I just could not find it.

I have a book in my personal collection that was published by Houghton, Mifflin and Company in 1897 and printed by The Riverside Press, Cambridge.

The book probably would grade close to fine except for the cloth cover which looks like insects have eaten a large part of the sizing. The cloth, gold, and printing appear to be almost perfect.

If I could learn the formulation for the sizing used by that printer at that time, I believe I could restore the cover. If the formula used by that printer is unknown, the most common sizing used in that period probably would suffice.

If a compatible sizing is commercially available, that information would be most welcome.

All help appreciated.

Richard Hearn