Re: [BKARTS] Saving sections made up of thick paper

What a fantastic array of food for thought. Thank you all for replying and
throwing in your two cents, or two pesos as the case may be.
Since I can't change the number of pages in the sections, nor change the
paper, the suggestions that had to do with incorporating the solution into
the structural design will work best for this book. After a virtual tennis
match of testings yesterday, I decided to go with an accordion, made of the
same spine canvas (so that it will match the outside of the book), with the
book block still sewn onto linen tapes on the back side of the accordion.
Since gaps are inevitable between the sections, I'll "fill" them with the
accordion folds. Structurally sound, and visually balanced. Then a usual
Flat Back case binding.
Gavin, I liked how you split the analysis of the problem into either
structural or material. Made me realize there IS a material problem. The
paper has a light coated surface layer of some sort that lifts up when the
glued cracks receive the smallest amount of strain. Rather than holding
together, this surface coat just lifts up. So I won't push the paper into
behaving as it doesn't want to.
Thanks a million to all, has been a wonderful string. Very appreciated.
Best,
Alex
www.transientbooks.com