Re: [BKARTS] Saving sections made up of thick paper

On Apr 9, 2004, at 8:17 AM, Transient Books wrote:

I am putting together a book that is 9 inches square. Case binding. It
has 4
sections of 3 folded sheets. The sheets, or the book block, is made up
of
very thick paper. Over 200 weight.
******************************
Others have made valid comments about glue and spine linings, but the
paper is still far too thick for such a small book.
In my opinion, if you want a 9" square book of thick paper to open  ---
the paper is 200 lb (?) cover weight or, do you mean 200 g/m2? ---  I
would recommend  that you cut or tear the sheets to individual leaves
and guard/hinge with cloth for an easy opening. Two other possibilities
are the use of a Japanese paper concertina, or "Meeting Guards"
(Reversed V-Guards), but the paper is still probably to thick for these
to function properly.
Bill Minter

William Minter Bookbinding & Conservation, Inc. 4364 Woodbury Pike Woodbury, PA 16695 814-793-4020 Fax: 814-793-4045 Email: wminter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx