Re: [BKARTS] Book Cover Sizing

On Apr 10, 2004, at 8:15 AM, UrsaMajor wrote:

The book probably would grade close to fine except for the cloth cover
which looks like insects have eaten a large part of the sizing. The
cloth, gold, and printing appear to be almost perfect.

If I could learn the formulation for the sizing used by that printer
at that time, I believe I could restore the cover. If the formula used
by that printer is unknown, the most common sizing used in that period
probably would suffice.

If a compatible sizing is commercially available, that information
would be most welcome.

******************************
We mix acrylic paints with wheat starch paste (sometimes with methyl
cellulose) and retouch similar types of damage. With a good eye for
color mixing and a great deal of patience, you could treat the area
damaged by insects.
Bill

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695