Re: [BKARTS] questions

In response to your request about aging paper, I found a wonderful solution to this problem in the Book Arts List archives. I was completing a piece that had an area where I had drawn an element in graphite. When done, I wished that I had aged the paper first by soaking in tea, as I usually do. Of course, I didn't want to soak the finished art in tea at this point. I searched the archive using the term "aging paper" and came up with a method that uses a mixture of sugar and salt that's cooked down until the sugar turns brown. It can then be watered down to the desired strength. I sprayed my drawing with workable fixative and applied the solution with a brush, and I'm very happy with the results. The archives contain a wealth of information that I use frequently. They can be accessed at:

http://www.philobiblon.com/

Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 13:33:09 -0700 From: Edward van Vliet <ahfedward@xxxxxxxxx> Subject: questions

I am a new subscriber and would like to begin by asking a few questions.
I have a few projects in mind and would like to get as much information
as possible beforehand. First, ANY recommendations on staining/ aging
paper. Second, I want to alter book pages so that they are somewhat
transparent and will allow the text from the previous few pages to come
through. Then I want to be able to draw/ paint/ collage on those pages.
Any ideas? Lastly, if using wax on paper, how to keep it from getting
brittle et al? Are there particular mixtures or applications people have
found useful? With bated breath,

Edward