From: "Janet Lorch" <DGBJLL@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 12:02 PM
Subject: Re: questions

solution to this problem in the Book Arts List archives. I was completing a
piece that had an area where I had drawn an element in graphite. When done,
I wished that I had aged the paper first by soaking in tea, as I usually do.
Of course, I didn't want to soak the finished art in tea at this point. I
searched the archive using the term "aging paper" and came up with a method
that uses a mixture of sugar and salt that's cooked down until the sugar
turns brown. It can then be watered down to the desired strength. I sprayed
my drawing with workable fixative and applied the solution with a brush, and
I'm very happy with the results. The archives contain a wealth of
information that I use frequently. They can be accessed at: