Re: [BKARTS] help fixing old books

Hi Rob,

I am just about to embark on a similar project to your Old England book
example of loose boards etc, I have one in a very similar condition and
so far have only tackled cloth bound and simple leather repairs.

As a useful reference I have found the Washington State University site
mentioned in this list a few days ago very interesting. You might want
to take a look at the section on "Board Attachments through Joint
Tackets" and another on the  "Leatherbound Volume".

They are at : http://www.wsulibs.wsu.edu/holland/masc/conserve.htm

Good luck

David Peters

Surrey, UK

Ref:

>Date:    Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:05:50 -0500

>From:    Rob <rvr@xxxxxxx>

>Subject: help fixing old books

>Hello,

>I have received a couple of old books from a friend. He just bought
them at an auction for a few bucks. He knows that I >have done BBing and
asked me to fix them up. I have all the details at rtfm.ca/books2fix

>I have never sold a book I have made but I have made over 80 books and
have given them away to family, friends and >enemies - so I know a
little, but not a lot. I have ideas what to do but would appreciate some
input from this forum. If >you have ideas of where I should go (how is
that for taking a risk) please let me know! Again, I have put the gory
>details at rtfm.ca/books2fix

>thanks,

-rob