Re: [BKARTS] [OT] Prison erases writing workshop files after inmate wins $25,000 PEN award

Especially for Suzanne;

I would urge you to read the book, "Couldn't Keep It to Myself. . ." by
Wally Lamb and the women inmates.

This book and the writing by these women do not sensationalize crime -
their own or any other.  The PEN awards do not sensationalize crime. The
PEN Writing Program is based on this premise: "Convinced that writing is
inherently rehabilitative, PEN's Prison Writing Program launched its
first annual literary competition in 1973 for men and women in federal
and state prisons and jails throughout the country, and it has continued
without interruption ever since. PEN PWP Committee members are
volunteers; most have experience teaching in prisons. Each year prizes
are awarded in poetry, fiction, nonfiction and drama, and a selection of
winning works are celebrated in public readings."

Our whole system of justice does very little to rehabilitate people who
have committed crimes or to enact a process of restoration in the lives
of victims, survivors, and perpetrators - and those are the things that
resolve heartache and bring peace and the ability to move forward in
life for victims,  perpetrators, and our society.

I speak from experience; my sister and brother-in-law were killed in a
sensless murder spree.

Barbara