Re: [BKARTS] repair tissue

Rachel's comments are a very good summary, well stated.

I use different papers for guarding. Perhaps the most common in my supplies is Sekishu natural, a 100% kozo paper. There are several different kinds of Sekishu, different weights, and all are good, I think. I also like Usu Mino and Uda thin, also made of kozo. The Uda thin is especially nice in that it seems to blend very well with most book papers, essentially disappearing after drying.

These are all thin but strong papers, which makes resewing rather easier that it would otherwise be.

In general the heat-set tissues are not good for guarding; too weak. There is also a problem with reversal and with the possibility of interaction between the adhesive and inks.

For repairing tears I often will use a slip of tengujo to "bandade" the tear. It will lay directly over the tear or bridge it with the repair paper lying within the tear, half of it pasted to one side of the base paper, the other half pasted to the verso. This repair shows very little, and it tends to be very strong. Fussier to do, though.

Another good way to fix tears is to line the broken edges with paste, press them together, then press a scrap of japanese paper over the tear. Allow to dry, then lift off the japanese paper. Some fibers will stay on the tear, helping to strengthen the bond. This is also a rather sightly fix, with little of the added tissue showing.

Carol
Eugene, OR
---------