Re: [BKARTS] repair tissue

Rob - Others have already commented about Japanese tissue vs. heat sensitive tissue and I'll simply add that, out of curiosity, I once tried pressure-sensitive tape as a guard. It didn't work. Not only is is not strong enough to hold sewing thread, it can lead you to create even more tears when sewing in an already fragile fold.

I suggest you contact The Japanese Paper Place http://www.japanesepaperplace.com. You can buy, for a very reasonable amount, sample books of their conservation and repair tissues. You'll then have a handy reference guide for which paper you might need for a particular project. You can also find out if The Japanese Paper place sells via a retailer near you.

Yes, there are many Japanese tissues from which to choose. That's both the beauty and the confusion of it all. Your mending tissue should be selected based on the paper you are to mend. When you start working with well-made, high-quality Japanese tissue, you'll never accept any substitutions.

Good luck. Julie

Dear Folks,

I am going to buy tissue for repairing paper tears along the edge of
paper and where signatures are folded. As a first-timer I have found a
few sources but have a few questions.

There is Japanese tissue vs pressure or heat sensitive tissue, what are
the concerns/benefits about using one over the other?

There are a dozen different Japanese papers - any one or two
recommendations?

Have I missed something, or are there other repair options?

thanks,
-rob