[BKARTS] Fwd: Prison Writing Program

This is the response I got after writing to the Governor of Conn.
JudithCohen

Ms. Cohen

My name is Brian Garnett.  I am the Director of External Affairs for the Connecticut Department of Correction and I am responding to an e-mail which Governor Rowland's Office has referred to me.  You had expressed concerns regarding the status of the writing program which is led by Wally Lamb at the York Correctional Institution.  Let me make clear, that this program,  which has been conducted for the past five years, is continuing at the prison.  The Department of Correction is extremely proud of this unique and innovative program just as we are proud of the accomplishments of the women who have participated.   The introspection and self-examination offered through the writing experience provides positive rehabilitative benefits.  The program was temporarily on hold for about a month, as concerns were addressed about the dissemination of news within the prison, of the $25,000 PEN America prize, awarded to one of the inmate authors.  The Department of Correction had been given no prior notice of the nomination or the awarding of the prize.  There is a very real concern regarding safety and security for the inmate and the prison, with her being identified as having access to that amount of money.  Based on a recent productive and positive meeting of all parties, including Mr. Lamb, the issues have been resolved.  Media reports also charged that writing materials were destroyed.  There was never any malicious intent on the part of the Department, nor was any destruction ordered at any time.  Our only intention was requiring that the writings be committed to computer disks to fully preserve those materials and ensure they would be in place when the program started up again.  We have now learned those initial reports of destruction were erroneous and little if any material was lost.  Thank you for your time and concern.

Respectfully,

Brian Garnett
Director of External Affairs