Re: [BKARTS] Prison Writing Program

That's fascinating -- thank you posting this. Assuming he is telling the truth, I am happy to be wrong about the warden.

Matthew
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Judith Cohen
  To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 4:12 PM
  Subject: Fwd: Prison Writing Program

  --part1_be.a998fb3.2db82fa0_boundary

  This is the response I got after writing to the Governor of Conn.
  JudithCohen

  --part1_be.a998fb3.2db82fa0_boundary

  Ms. Cohen

  My name is Brian Garnett.  I am the Director of External Affairs for the Con=
  necticut Department of Correction and I am responding to an e-mail which Gov=
  ernor Rowland's Office has referred to me.  You had expressed concerns regar=
  ding the status of the writing program which is led by Wally Lamb at the Yor=
  k Correctional Institution.  Let me make clear, that this program,  which ha=
  s been conducted for the past five years, is continuing at the prison.  The=20=
  Department of Correction is extremely proud of this unique and innovative pr=
  ogram just as we are proud of the accomplishments of the women who have part=
  icipated.   The introspection and self-examination offered through the writi=
  ng experience provides positive rehabilitative benefits.  The program was te=
  mporarily on hold for about a month, as concerns were addressed about the di=
  ssemination of news within the prison, of the $25,000 PEN America prize, awa=
  rded to one of the inmate authors.  The Department of Correction had been gi=
  ven no prior notice of the nomination or the awarding of the prize.  There i=
  s a very real concern regarding safety and security for the inmate and the p=
  rison, with her being identified as having access to that amount of money. =20=
  Based on a recent productive and positive meeting of all parties, including=20=
  Mr. Lamb, the issues have been resolved.  Media reports also charged that wr=
  iting materials were destroyed.  There was never any malicious intent on the=
   part of the Department, nor was any destruction ordered at any time.  Our o=
  nly intention was requiring that the writings be committed to computer disks=
   to fully preserve those materials and ensure they would be in place when th=
  e program started up again.  We have now learned those initial reports of de=
  struction were erroneous and little if any material was lost.  Thank you for=
   your time and concern. =20

  Respectfully,

  Brian Garnett
  Director of External Affairs

                                     =20
       consent of the author - Please respect their contributions & =A9*
                                     =20

  --part1_be.a998fb3.2db82fa0_boundary--