From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of LA.
Book Arts
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 8:44 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Stitched perfect bound book

Bertelsman in Germany uses a system there the Signatures are stapled =20
with Synthetic staples which are melted on the spine with the applied  =20=

Adhesive.
the spine is notched to give it a larger are for the glue.

See if the Thread is continuos or stapled.

charles
------------------------------------
L.A Book Arts, Inc.
The Custom Bindery
Krause Intaglio
310.360.7265
www.Custombindery.com
------------------------------------
On Apr 21, 2004, at 7:24 PM, James Tapley wrote:

> Hi Tony... There is no such animal as a sewn perfect bound book. A =20
> perfect
> binding is by definition an unsewn bookblock of individual leaves held =
=20
> together
> with a glue of some type on the spine.
> I suspect that what you have is a sewn binding in wraps (wraps being =20=

> paper
> covers which are attached using an adhesive bond and most often =20
> adhered only on
> the spine). Think Dover quality paperbacks.
> Any machine bindery which produces saddle sewn bindings should be able =
=20
> accommodate your needs. I think the world of Cardoza-James
> (http://www.cardozajames.com/) who, if not interested in your job will =
=20
> I'm sure be able to put you
> on to someone in your locality.
> In the Southeast you might consider the Rose Printing Company
> (http://www.roseprinting.com/electroPublisher/website/index.cfm?=20
> pageID=3D6).
> Best, James

>      consent of the author - Please respect their contributions & =A9*

                                   =20