Re: [BKARTS] Book & Magazine Care

Mark,

I'd be concerned about storing paper materials of any sort in an unheated, unconditioned space, especially in an area like yours. Cycling temperatures, RH, general cleanliness of the area, and perhaps an even more important problem—insects, mice, would lead me to counsel against using your garage to store this collection. I think you would be wiser to keep them inside, where the environment is controlled. Two years is really not long enough to notice a lot of degradation, but be sure there is some. And it isn't reversible.

I don't see much problem from putting doors on the bookshelves and displaying posters. I think I'd provide some kind of ventilation, however. Wood tends to outgas some, and the Sauder shelf units are particle-board, which is going to outgas even more. I'd be more comfortable if these chemicals escaped and didn't build up in a confined space.

Carol
Eugene, OR

------