Re: [BKARTS] Flat pages for binding classes

Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Flat pages for binding classes

> > book. These will be laser-printed, 2-up on 8.5x11 sheets (both sides, of
> > course), and I'm willing to use the handsome papers that are available
> > as resume papers if people would like them.  I'll probably buy a ream of
> > something nice but basic, like a white laid paper; I have small amounts
>>
>>Judith
>
> The only concern I can see is that these books would be cross-grained
(with
> the grain perpendicular to, rather than parallel to, the spine).
Certainly
> for beginning bookbinders, this would limit their usefulness to
non-adhesive
> binding.  Not that that's a showstopper, but it's something to consider.
>
> Abi

This bothers me also. Unless the 8.5 by 11 sheets are short (cross) grain to
begin with, books made with them will be, IMHO, worthless. To me, that IS a
showstopper. Even beginnining binders of adhesive AND non-adhesive books
should learn good the rules of good bookbinding.

I have on my workbench right now a rare, 1871, volume printed on a fairly
heavy stock. I was astonished to find that most of the signatures were loose
although the book did not look as if it had been heavily used. Then, after
having difficulty turning the pages, I discovered the text paper had been
used cross-grain. The resulting strain at the spine had broken sewing thread
throughout the book.

When I first read Judith's post, I thought, since these flat sheets were
"sets of pages from the books published by my press, Mayapple Press" which
should know what they were doing, the sheets were printed on short-grain
paper. If that is the case, I apologize to Judith. Those flat sheets will be
fine for binding.

But any new printing will have to be done, not on "paper from reams of
something nice but basic, like a white laid paper; I have small amounts of
some other interesting papers already in stock" which will be, in all
probability, long-grain. The best way to procure paper with the grain in the
spine direction, is to buy a ream of 11 x 17 paper and cut it in half
horizontally.

Betty