Re: [BKARTS] ISBN

You're right, I guess, for those of us doing something resembling a
business. OTOH, I think the minimum is 10. If someone is doing just a
few books on a shoestring, that might deter them from listing. Which
probably IS the point: to "protect" the ISBN system from amateurs.

But should it? Should book makers and publishers be excluded from the
distribution system and limited to people they can hand-sell their books
to? I'm getting pretty tired of the stranglehold the big distributors
and big-box bookstores have on the whole publishing universe, and this
is only one small example.

Publishing is business and industry, but it's also an art form
practiced by individuals with limited budgets. If I were just starting
out, $250 plus whatever they're now charging to give you a prefix would
be a deterrent. Now I will start figuring the ISBN into the budget for
each book and considering my remaining numbers a valuable resource.

Judy Kerman
Mayapple Press (established 1978 - 23 titles in print)

>>> ddrake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 7/1/2004 5:43:24 PM >>>
Judy,

$24 per number doesn't seem so bad. I would certainly expect to recoup
such an amount on a publication that justified an isbn number. $8 per
number for 100 numbers seems more than reasonable. A mere drop in the
bucket if I was planning 100 editions.

Just one binders perspective.

Don Drake
Dreaming Mind

ddrake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IM: stitchbyhand
http://www.dreamingmind.com
http://www.hughstump.com
(510) 537-9711

On Jul 1, 2004, at 2:36 PM, Judith Kerman wrote:

> Prepare for sticker shock. They charge $240 for 10 numbers these
days,
> and I think there's an additional fee the first time a press gets on
> their system. I got 100 numbers back in 1979, and I don't remember
it
> costing anything. Now 100 numbers would cost me (with my
longstanding
> prefix)  $800!!!!! Did someone say freedom of the press belongs to
the
> people who own the presses?
>
> Judy Kerman

                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung