Re: [BKARTS] Help! Bought a Victorian Copy Press

Patty,

I just looked at the picture of the copy press you purchased on ebay.  I can
only venture an educated guess that it was possibly used to copy handwritten
documents.  They way a traditional copy press worked (the one that looks
like a book press but with less daylight...e.g. the space between the top
and bottom plates) is that a piece of onion skin was dampened and then
placed on top of the original document.  When the plates screwed down the
moisture drew up enough ink from the original and bled up through to the
onion skin to make a copy.  This was not a mirror image as the ink bled up
and through to the top of the onion skin.  There were blank books made of
onion skin and originals could be placed in the book, the book placed in the
press, and then you had a file copy of written documents all in one place.
Until the invention of carbon paper this was a common means of copying
letters and documents.

Hope this helps.

d.guffey

Subject: [BKARTS] Help! Bought a Victorian Copy Press

> Hi all.   Item number: 2251751850
> <http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/x.gif>      on www.ebay.CO.UK - I
> just bought this Victorian Copy Press thinking I could
> use it as a book press for small books (artist books).  It's not quite
> what I expected.  How can I see how these
> old things used to be used???
>
> THANKS!
>
> Patty
> Surrey