Re: [BKARTS] (no subject)

Linda,
Some very good responses to your query have already been shared. Most
importantly, these women need to feel safe to tell and publish their
stories.
Since you have both women and their families, you could involve the
children as well. I lead a Picture Book Project where pairs (moms or
grandmas and kids) were photographed in a bunch of silly poses (by me
with a Polaroid). Then they worked together to lay out their 6 or so
photos into a story, which the kids dictated to the woman scribe. They
loved doing this, and it opened up the concept of "story" and
"narrative". These books were then shared as the kids read them to
others. Later, I had these moms work in a large format origami book to
write autobiographies. I provided lots of "stuff" for them to use,
markers and magazines, etc. I had a long-time trusting relationship with
this group, even though they were mandated to go to school (GED). This
same group of women often started their own oral stories with the intro,
"When I was raped..." There are sometimes miracles: after 9 years one
mom got her GED.
Velma

Linda Tangstrom wrote:

I work at a shelter for homeless families and I would like to make a book
with the women who live there based on the idea of "I am..."  The community of
women that I work with is culturally diverse, economically challenged, but with
stories to tell!  How do I get them to open up and share their ideas?    I'd
like them to approach the pages in their own way, either by writing, drawing,
collaging...however they feel the most comfortable.  The book is not going to
be sold but hopefully will be exhibited.  I understand I will need to get
written authorizations from the women but what I'm really interested in right now
is how to approach them with this idea.  Has anyone done a similar project??
I'd love to hear about it.
Thank you so much.

                      Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
                  ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004