Re: [BKARTS] Black Book Cloth

On Jul 13, 2004, at 1:38 PM, Laura Russell wrote:

I am using a black color book cloth that is not your ordinary book
cloth and I'm not sure what it is. It's a nice cotton, very soft with a
fine weave. This black cloth scuffs easily and attracts every dust
particle in my studio.  Ed suggested "a light coat of Krylon satin
finish acrylic spray" for the recent  Kennett book cloth question, but
I'm not sure if this is what I'm looking for since it is probably full
of acid. Any other ideas for cutting down on scuffing and dust?

******************************
It has been my experience that spraying natural finish bookcloth with
Krylon tends to raise the small fibers, but maybe I had not been
applying a "light coat".
As to it being "full of acid", I don't think that that is an issue.
Krylon is a fairly stable product.

On other (light colored) natural fabrics that I have used for book
covers, I have sprayed the surface with SCOTCHGARD. The covers were for
fancy menus. Maybe it will work in your situation?

Good Luck. Maybe you can let us know about the materials that you try,
and how they work?
Bill Minter

William Minter Bookbinding & Conservation, Inc. 4364 Woodbury Pike Woodbury, PA 16695 814-793-4020 Fax: 814-793-4045 Email: wminter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      Spring[binding]Hath Sprung