Re: [BKARTS] Cat urine damaged books

On Jul 13, 2004, at 5:32 PM, Don Drake wrote:

The archives discus enzyme products as the best solution for
eliminating the odor. One problem lies in effectively treating the book
blocks without resorting to dis-binding and page washing.
******************************
I am unaware of how an enzyme would deal with eliminating the odor.
However, you might like to know that it is possible to wash and
deacidify a "bound book" -- I have done it a number of times.
A recent article was published in The American Institute for
Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -- BOOK AND PAPER GROUP
ANNUAL, Volume 21, 2002. The title is "Water Damaged Books: Washing
Intact and Air Drying: A Novel Approach".

Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695
814-793-4020