[BKARTS] cords versus tapes

Book Arts-L members:
I have been lurking here for a while, learning from all the good advice given
to others.  I thought this would be a good place to ask this question:  Which
is stronger (and therefore the best choice for binding a large, heavy book)
sewing over raised cords (flexible binding) or tapes?  I ask because I have
been reading several books for an independent study on hand bookbinding and
have come upon differing opinions.  Edith Diehl's Bookbinding: Its Background
and Technique says raised cords are strongest, while Manley Banister's The
Craft of Bookbinding says tapes are strongest.  I have not yet had the chance
to experiment on my own, but I thought someone could tell me from experience
which is stronger.

--Amy Self
aself@xxxxxxx

                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung