Re: [BKARTS] gold finishing

Jet,
I don't think you need any fluid. If you just run lightly with a scotch cleaning pad it should be fine on any fabric.
Any fluid you add has the potential to change the colour around the gold stamping or remove it.
Dave

At 12:01 AM 7/21/04 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear Don:
>  I just purchased a Kwikprint 55 on EBAY.  It was in excellent condition
>and had a lot of extras:  many boxes of fonts, rolls of colored foil, a
>neat automatic temperature setting device.  I followed your protocol in
>stamping:  make an imprint first, etc., keep the temp at 250 degrees.
>(That temp seems to work for me too.)  After the stamping I do a very mild
>rub with a copper squeegee, and then a brief swip with naptha.  This,
>suggested in my bookbinding book,  cleans up any unwelcome bits of foil.
>On all types of leather the results have been, well, beyond my wildest
>expectations--- just beautiful.  Your technique seems to work with other
>than gold foils, too, for instance, the multicolored foils that were
>included with the Kwikprint.
>    I'm now experimenting with coverings other than leather, for instance,
>nugahyde.  These coverings pose challenges, yet I want to use them, because
>they are cheap, for covering many old books of instrumental music.  They
>just don't seem to take the stamping very well.  If you hear anything about
>handling these materials, would you let me know?
>    And thanks for the solid advice.
>Jet

>                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
>         Worldwide Springback Bind-O-Rama and Online Exhibition
>            Full information at <http://www.philobiblon.com>
>                   ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004
>
>      Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>

David Allen
840 Snowdrop Avenue
Victoria, British Columbia
CANADA  V8Z 2N4
(250) 888-9380
http://www.webvictoria.com/beddall

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you
may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.
John Quincy Adams, 1767 - 1848

                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
                   ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004