[BKARTS] frequent auction postings

--CFWHWJEQPTKGHZEFEMKPBKRKEUDIMH Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:36:09 EDT From: Ed Stansell <CraftBook@xxxxxxx> Subject: Re: EQUIPMENT AUCTION MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Peter,

Alrighty what?

If you are speaking of how many times I posted my equipment auction, once was
to add items to the list and the other two were to show changes in the
current bid. Did I bother anyone beside you?

Yes, actually, you did. I found it annoying. I could see a once-daily update, but 4 postings? And I read the list in digest form.

While posting items for sale is entirely appropriate, because of
repeated bids, updates of highest bids, etc. having an auction on the
mailing list may not be entirely suitable because of the higher
message load than a simple offer of sale. That's why there's E-bay.

I realize you are the moderator, but really Peter, don't you think it should
be up to the members to decide what is posted and how often? If the other
group members feel the same as you, I will bow to your will and sell
these items
elsewhere.

It's the moderator's job to let folks know when they are breaching some list etiquette. Peter was doing his job, and he did it in a much nicer way than I've seen some other moderators do.

Like I said, I don't think that this auction is inappropriate at all
(and I benefit greatly from your discussion of conservation and
restoration and hold you in high regard) but keep in mind the higher
message load / list traffic that an auction is going to generate.
That could be minimized by people sending bids to you directly
offlist, and you posting a once-a-day update as to the highest bid.

Just a little consideration for the number of messages that are
falling into other people's mailboxes.

---Amy West (a learning lurker)

                      Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
                  ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004