From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Nena Richardson
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 12:56 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: using DMC floss

As someone who is first a needleworker I can tell you the problem with
using floss is that the thread is a "soft twist" which means that it is
not very strong even using all six ply. With Coptic stitch you get more
wear and fray on the thread than you would on a Japanese stab binding
but either way, over time, the thread will fray and give way much sooner
than a tight  or hard twist thread. Yes, they do come in some lucious
colors. If you thing DMC has nice colors check out a needlework store
for Anchor/Metz threads. Their color range is even better. And, while
you are there, check out some of the silks that are suitable for Coptic
or Stab binding. The colors are very nice indeed.

Nena

                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
                   ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004

 eMail Privacy Protected by QuarantineMail
(http://www.quarantinemail.com)  Licensed to: lynn@xxxxxxxxxxx