Re: [BKARTS] Alberta College of Art and Design

Reids is a fantastic store on 17th Ave, close to Mona Lisa - but are a bit
pricey. There are also paper wholesalers in Calgary, but they will only work
with a minimum cost of about $300CDN. I have found for our basic books that
Staples works just fine - and for basic 20#bond Superstore and Walmart are the
best prices, though not neccessarily the best quality. For good quality at
reasonable prices, I've had to order from out of town suppliers.

As to book arts and hidden treats lcoally, I haven't been able to find much
except for a couple of local bookbinding shops. I have heard it said a thousand
times from a thousand sources that Calgary lacks Culture - whatever that stuff
is...

There are a thousand used bookstores - all of whom I've spoken to are suprised
to find that bookbinding as an artform still exists. Tells you an aweful lot.

R.L.Angus
Octavia Occult Publishing
Calgary, Alberta
403 - 242 - 0397

Quoting Margaret Lammerts <ed.marg@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi Natalie
>

> >I am currently in Australia, and have recently received a scholarship to
> study at
> >Alberta College of Art and Design from January 2005.
> >

> I live in Alberta, although  3 hours north of Calgary. There  are
> several stores that sell wonderful papers and there are classes in the
> city. Once you arrive in Calgary you'll find your sources if you ask the
> students that have been there more than a year.
> "Mona Lisa"  is one  store that comes to mind for the incredible papers
> they carry. Here's a few more art stores. Of course we have Michael's,
> where you can buy any other craft material under the sun.
>
> Mona Lisa Artist Material
> 1518 - 7th St SW
> Calgary, AB
> Phone: 403-228-3618
>
> Colours Artist Supplies
> 1340 - 16 Ave NW
> Calgary, AB
> Phone: 403-289-1633
>
> ProGraphics
> 128 - 50th Ave SE
> Calgary, AB
> Phone: 403-253-0992
>
> Recently I took a bookbinding course  and found a new source (for me at
> least) of bookbinding materials.
> I met a young book artist/supplier  by the name of Lisa Isley who now
> carries an incredible amount of papers, binders tools, Davey board,
> Eska, marbled papers, glue, linen thread etc.
> Her company is called "In a Bind"
> Here is her new web site.
>  http://www.members.shaw.ca/inabind/
>
> There is a complete list of supplies at Lisa's web site:
> http://www.members.shaw.ca/inabind/index_files/Page1125.htm
>
> She will even come to your house and  have a "binding party"
> Contact her at:
> < inabind@xxxxxxx>
>
> margaret of tofield
> alberta