[BKARTS] James Castle/Book Artist

A few years ago, while conducting a survey of the Boise (Idaho)
Art Museum, I had an opportunity to examine a number of James
Castle's art constructions; then I met with Tom Trusky and was
shown many of Castle's 'books' which he has acquired for the library
at Boise State Univ. and was -  (blown away/astounded/impressed/
humbled... pick one or more.)

High art/fine art?  No.  But what Castle created with spit for a
binder, and charcoal from burnt wooden matches and soot from a wood-
burning stove reflects the artistic bent in all of us, but which only
a few are able to execute.

His life story, as told to me by Tom Trusky, makes his accomplishments
all the more amazing.  If you've ever felt sorry for yourself (and who
hasn't, now and again) read this book; it should help sort you out.

I'm ordering a copy of the hardcover edition.

Jack

>BIOGRAPHY EXPLORES GENIUS, COMPLEXITY OF ARTIST JAMES CASTLE
>
>        A new biography titled James Castle: His Life and Art explores
>the life, genius and motivation behind one of Idaho's greatest
>enigmas. Written by Tom Trusky, a Castle expert, director of the
>Hemingway Western Studies Center and Boise State University English
>professor, the book contains rare documents and photographs, exclusive
>interviews with Castle's family and childhood friends and the
>testimony of contemporary art and medical experts.
>              Labeled for his entire life as deaf, mute, illiterate and
>mentally challenged, Castle is now thought to have actually been
>autistic. Born in 1899 in the mountain town of Garden Valley, Idaho....
(snip)

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon  97217