Re: [BKARTS] Drilling for stab binding

In addition to clamping, it helps to put a piece of binders board on each
side of the textblock to be drilled. This will result in clean drilled
holes, without the chewed up stuff one would normally get.

Peter

******************************

Philobiblon: Book Arts Different by Design
Peter D. Verheyen
<mailto:verheyen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<http://www.philobiblon.com>

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Eric Wilcox wrote:

> Linda-
>
> While I generally try to use a hammer and awl for my stab bindings-- I've
> been known to use a hand-held drill for particularly thick projects.  For a
> class I teach in making photo albums, we use large clips to hold the paper
> and the cover material as tight as possible and drill through it with a
> normal bit.  No special equipment needed.  If you're nervous, I'd simply
> suggest testing it out with some scraps similar to what you'll be drilling
> in the final project.
>
> Good luck!
>
> eric
>

> >From: Linda Stinchfield <lindas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >Subject: Drilling for stab binding
> >Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 08:25:52 -0700
> >
> >Hello all,
> >
> >I'm in the process of making my 4th-ever handmade book, this one with a
> >stab
> >binding, and the directions in Shareen LaPlatz's book say to use a drill
> >press to drill the holes. The pages are ordinary printer paper and ink-jet
> >vellum, 50/50, bulk about 5/8". The boards are Davy (sp?) board, covered
> >with paste paper. My husband (owner of the drill press and not as impulsive
> >as I) wants to know if we need a special kind of drill bit. Does anyone
> >know
> >if an ordinary drill bit will chew up the paper?
> >
> >Many thanks for any help,
> >Linda

> >                        Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
> >          Worldwide Springback Bind-O-Rama and Online Exhibition
> >             Full information at <http://www.philobiblon.com>
> >                    ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004
> >
> >       Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>

> Dont just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!

                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
                   ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004