[BKARTS] what's this measurement?

Looking up books on abebooks. I'm routinely finding books that seem to be an exact match for the volume in my hand except for the stated size. For example, with a 1954 first edition "A View From Pompey's Head" by Hamilton Basso in my hand, the finished case measures 8.5x5.75". Abe book listings, when the show a size for the book say "8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall". What's the story behind this? An untrimmed measurement?

Perplexed,
Don Drake
Dreaming Mind

ddrake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx