Re: [BKARTS] Edge Painting

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wedding invitations, in my experience,
consist of one sheet of paper folded once.  Not much of a canvas on
the edge.

If your client hopes to have all the guests return their invitations
to her so she can put together a complete image contact your local
district attorney to learn what constitutes justifiable homicide in
your neck of the woods....

Fore-edge painting is not well represented in the literature.  There was
one book (_Fore-Edge Painting_ by Carl J. Weber, Harvey House, Inc.,
Hudson-on-Hudson, New York, 1966) which gives a history and description
of the technique; a journal, (_Pacific NW Book Arts Journal_ ?) gave an
illustrated version of the technique.

Weber's book will likely be easier to find.  The technique is simple
enough, but easier to do than describe.

Or, does she simply want a color on the edges?

Jack

>Hello!  I have a client who is demanding edge painting on her wedding
>invitations and I am seriously growing grey hairs trying to figure out how
>to set up the sheets (and what medium to use) to get the edges painted
>without bleeding.  I have never done this before and the technique is
>completely eluding me. Any assistance would be *so* appreciate.  This woman
>is going to send me to the looney bin! :)

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon  97217
USA