Re: [BKARTS] Bargains ungalore

Dear Jet,

I feel that you email is attacking me - "vaunted auction". If I'm
wrong, please let all of us know. As a self described tyro (I learned
two new words from you: tyro & penurious - thank you) I think you have
several misconceptions:

1	It is highly unlikely that you will ever see Walmart carrying
finishing tools. The market is not big enough. You therefore don't have
the price reductions that mass production affords.

2	When you factor in shipping, customs, currency exchange, stocking,
etc, Talas' prices for finishing tools are very reasonable. I have a
hard time competing with them on price and therefore go to great
lengths to provide my customers with "after sales service".

3	Your comparison of a hand-engraved finishing tool to "a three inch
wheel of brass" is equivalent to comparing a vintage Rolls-Royce to one
that has been scrapped and crushed. They both are made up of the same
materials, have the same weight.... By your reasoning, should both be
worth the same?

4	What you are paying for are the advantages that hand engraved tools
have over machine made ones, at about 1/3 of the cost to have them
newly made. As far as tools go, the auction prices were lower than I
had anticipated.

5	As a professional bookbinder, I can assure you we do not have the
income to over pay for tools, wether we are "seedy" or not.

I hope that this provide some clarification to you. If I have
misinterpreted your email, you have my apologies.

Sincerely,
Frank Lehmann
Lehmann Bindery

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:49:31 -0400, Jet Wimp wrote:
>     I attended Frank Lehmann's recent vaunted auction of brass finishing
> tools on EBAY yesterday.  I, a tyro and penurious to boot, thought I
> might be able to pick up some bargain decorative wheels and fillet
> wheels, something to counter the numbing prices at Talas.  No chance.  I
> was blown out of the water--- the bidding took off into the
> stratosphere, fueled, I suspect, by seedy professional bookbinding
> types.  Up into the hundreds of dollars, all for a three inch wheel of
> brass.
>     Don't they make these things somewhere in China or Indonesia?  If
> the marketplace really operates in a free and unrestrained manner, why
> can't we find brass finishing tools  at Walmart?

> Jet Wimp
> Philadelphia, PA  19139
>
>  The Belgian surrealist painter Renee Magritte entered a cheese store in
> Brussels to purchase a wheel of Swiss cheese.  The owner pulled a wheel
> from the front window, but Magritte said he preferred the one on the
> back counter.
>  But they are identical, the owner protested.
>  No, Magritte insisted.  This ones been stared at.

                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
                   ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004