Re: [BKARTS] Books that last

Hello Adrienne,

If this post is related to the thread "Printing for Eternity", paper was
rejected as a medium because control of storage conditions could not be
guaranteed.  The original post for this thread, in part, reads thus:

A friend and I were discussing "printing for eternity" so to speak. That is,
he is thinking of printing "books" that are intended to be stored in time
capsules, mausoleums, etc for thousands of years, perhaps to be read once
every century. "Think Dead Sea Scrolls" he says.

His approach is to use aluminum foil pages and emboss the letters into the
foil with some sort of heavy dot matrix printer. Then he would bind the book
using thicker aluminum covers with Chicago posts to hold together the
aluminum foil pages.

He realises that paper will last many centuries but cannot control storage
conditions and believes there is too much chance paper will decompose in
humid conditions. Besides, he is concerned about the ink sticking to the
paper over the long term.

By the way, the permanence of various bookmaking materials is a subject
of special interest to me.  This thread, though taking the issue of
permanence beyond my normal scope of thinking, has been very interesting.

T. A. Brown
Franconia, New Hampshire  USA

Adrienne Allen wrote:

Since some books made of rag paper seem to have lasted well so far, why not
contine the tradition? Leather does deteriorate but good printers ink on
good paper could be vacuum packed and looking at it once every 100years
would not cause too much anguish.

                      Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
                  ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004