Re: [BKARTS] Printing/binding for eternity

And yesterday I hear Crosby and Nash talking about a song on their
new album, which was inspired by a tongue in cheek (I think?) contest
for artists-- to design a statue/sculpture to be put up at Yucca
Mountain if they deposit all the nuclear waste there.... that will
last as long as it does and will convey to whatever culture or people
of the future without using language "Danger--Do NOT Dig here!"

It is an interesting quandary.... I believe in Nevil Shute's "On the
Beach" they mention something about a book encased in fiberglass with
symbols and language... but only in passing, and not enough to take
seriously... just that "the scientists had it all worked out."
-Jenny

I think it was in an anthology of his short stories called "The Nine Billion
Names of God"

Chris

Chris Palmer wrote:

> The only record of the mysterious earth people ends with the portrait of
> typical person, with grinning face and large ears. Below it, in writing
that
> will never be understood " A Walt Disney Cartoon".

 I remember this very well and think about it occasionally when
 considering the often dubious claims about Mayan hieroglyphs. I will
 forward it as a query to Stumpers-l, the reference librarians list. I'd
 like to track down the story myself.

gback Bind-O-Rama and Online Exhibition
                   ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004

--