Re: [BKARTS] printing for eternity

Hi Dean,

This may work.  I'm not familiar with the process, but judging by the
size of typical diamonds, the writing would have to be microscopic.
Depending upon the specs for the project mentioned in the original post,
the requirement to use technology (i.e. a microscope) to access the
information may make this method inappropriate.  But if
technology-dependent retrieval in not an issue, this could be a workable
solution -- a new type of microform... not microfilm, not microfiche,
but microscopic engraving on stone.  We could call the storage format
"microlith".

T. A. Brown
Franconia, New Hampshire  USA

DT Fletcher wrote:

Thinking about it a bit more, I realized that there already is a writing
system that should be about as permanent as possible. Laser etched diamonds.  If a
diamond truely lasts forever, then a diamond with laser etched writing on it
would truely be printing for eternity.  The only way to destroy the writing
would be to destroy the diamond.  It's off-the-shelf technology, too.

Dean

                      Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
                  ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004