Re: [BKARTS] rebinding a broken paperb.../ABBEY NEWS

On Aug 24, 2004, at 11:05 AM, Amy West wrote:

.......... to "fix" broken paperback bindings.

Recommended techniques and pointers to online tutorials are welcome.

For removing the adhesive, I'm hoping that using a methyl cellulose
poultice and paper knife will work. I know that conservation labs,
when doing a double-fan binding,  will use a guillotine to prepare
the text block (chop off the adhesive),..........
******************************

Many years ago there was an article in the ABBEY NEWSLETTER (see note
below) to freeze a book that was to be "pulled". The lower temperature
causes the adhesive to become extra brittle, and allowed the adhesive
to chip-off the paper much more easily.
At the time, I used the freezing technique on a fairly new BIBLE that I
was rebinding. It was wonderful, and eliminated most of the guarding
that would normally have had to be done. I had tried different solvents
(i.e. acetone) on another copy with horrible results -- tide lines from
the solvent.
Today, if we are resewing a modern book, we now cut the sewing thread
at each signature and then place the book in a plastic bag in the
freezer for a few days. Immediately upon removal from the freezer, the
book is opened between each signature to break the adhesive, and then
the excess is chipped off.
Maybe it will work for your book. Good Luck.

Note:  The ABBEY NEWSLETTER has been published by Ellen McCrady for
almost (?) thirty years. Sadly, the final issue was just received. The
ABBEY NEWSLETTER has been the greatest source of information for
bookbinders, book and paper conservators, and others in related fields.
I am sorry that the ABBEY NEWSLETTER has been discontinued.
THANK YOU ELLEN for keeping me informed about everything related to
book and paper conservation for these past 30 (?) years.
Sincerely,

Bill Minter
4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695