Re: [BKARTS] rebinding a broken paperback binding

I use a paint remover blower, similar to a hair drier but with considerable more pizazz (not a blowtorch!) After the glue is melted I scrape it off with a paint scraper.  If the margins of the paperback allow, I then do a saw kerf process to strengthen the spine (make diagonal cuts 1 1/2 inches apart and 1/4 inch deep, and fill with a strong cord and hot glue.)  I then bind the book as usual.
If the margins of the book are very narrow, I just go ahead and bind as usual, attaching the super with hot hide glue, which I find infinitely preferable to the plastic based products book manufacturers use for glue.  It's a compromise, admittedly.
> From: Duncan <tvjunkie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 2004/08/24 Tue PM 05:50:21 GMT
> To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: rebinding a broken paperback binding