From: "Jet Wimp" <bolu.bolu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 27, 2004 1:32 PM
Subject: Re: rebinding a broken paperback binding

> I use a paint remover blower, similar to a hair drier but with
considerable more pizazz (not a blowtorch!) After the glue is melted I
scrape it off with a paint scraper.  If the margins of the paperback allow,
I then do a saw kerf process to strengthen the spine (make diagonal cuts 1
1/2 inches apart and 1/4 inch deep, and fill with a strong cord and hot
glue.)  I then bind the book as usual.
> If the margins of the book are very narrow, I just go ahead and bind as
usual, attaching the super with hot hide glue, which I find infinitely
preferable to the plastic based products book manufacturers use for glue.
It's a compromise, admittedly.
> > From: Duncan <tvjunkie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Date: 2004/08/24 Tue PM 05:50:21 GMT
> > To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx